Piccolo Theatre announces its 12th annual holiday Panto, Bah, Humbug!
By Tina and Robert Burbidge
Directed by John Szostek, Piccolo Theatre Artistic Director
Music & Lyrics by Rich Maisel
This comedic, colorful, and crazy Panto version of Charles Dickens' classic A Christmas Carol is full of witty songs, vibrant dance numbers, jokes, and amazing magic! Follow the miserly Scrooge on a wildly hysterical adventure with three stooge-like spirits of Christmas, a not-so-precious Tiny Tim, and the Fezziwgs as they have never been seen on stage before. Pantos are a British holiday tradition and Dickens' favorite form of entertainment. Perfect for all ages. Come celebrate the holiday season Piccolo Theatre style!
Reader reccomended! See our other reviews below.
- Runs 11/16-12/22 Fridays at 7:30 PM, Saturdays at 3 PM & 7:30 PM, and Sundays at 3 PM
- $25/Adults, $22/Seniors, $15/Student, $10/Child (9 and under)
- $65 Family (2 Adults, 2 Children)
- Group Rates Available
- Evanston resident Weekend, 11/30-12-2
All Tickets $15 with ID (walk-up only)
- Bah, Humbug! runs 90 minutes with a 10-minute intermission;
performance length may vary depending on audience interaction.
Josh Ballard, Emily Bates, Sarah Grant**, Alyson Grauer, Claire Hart, James Holbrook, Sandra Howard, Andrew Huttel, Ben Muller*, Kate McDermott, Charlotte Ostrow, Jason Peck, Kurt Proepper, Paige Reilly, Genesee Spridco, Nathan Thompson, and Allison Lynn Tyler
- "...this re-telling of the old Christmas favorite stands out and is a great way to kick-off the holiday season. Full of pantomime fun, tongue-in-cheek jokes and Christmas spirit..."
- Anuja Vaidya, ChicagoTheatreBeat.com
- "If the panto was Dickens' favorite form of entertainment, it's safe to say the late author would look with great favor on Bah, Humbug!"
-Tom Witom, Lincolnwood Review
- "Saw Bah, Humbug! last night and laughed all the way through. A very energizing and most imaginative piece of work."
- Richard Lee, Piccolo patron
- "Clownish caricatures of Tim, Scrooge, and company are modeled as much on pop culture as they are on stock characters; the fusion of archetype and old Hollywood makes for surprisingly deep comedy. Bah, Humbug! still feels like Christmas because the actors are so giving."
-Asher Klein, Chicago Reader
- "This was undoubtedly the best of your pantomimes we've seen yet! We have experience with genuine English panto, and are pleased to be able to see one without traveling thousands of miles."
- Christine H Lehmann, Piccolo patron
John Szostek* (Director, Artistic Director), Amanda Kulczewski (General Manager), Tony Lawry (Education/Outreach Director), Tabbi Koller (Production Manager), Stephanie M. Neilitz (Stage Manager), John Carlin (Assistant Stage Manager), Jason Martin** (Dialect Coach), Vanessa Hughes* (Choreographer), Rich Maisel (Music & Lyrics), Nathan Thompson (Musical Direction), DeChantel Kosmatka (Costume Design), Ruth Hudson (Lighting Design), Kurt Sharp (Scenic Painting), Brad Jackson (Technical Direction/Master Carpenter), Kelly Claussen (Properties), Nick Spence (Graphic Design), Rachel Bykowski (Marketing Coordinator), Joshua D. Allard** (Administrative Support/Marketing Coordinator)
Robert E. Potter III* (Photographer)
*Denotes Piccolo Theatre Ensemble Member
** Denotes Piccolo Theatre Artistic Associate